As we move into 2012, it’s only natural to look ahead at goals we’d like to achieve in the new year. Now I know I won’t be joining a gym anytime soon, though I’m going to try to keep up the yoga. A resolution I’ve had for years is to “Have more fun!” And it’s more fun for me to create sewing resolutions. I could never resolve to not buy fabric for a year (I love fabric buying too much), but I’d love to finish the projects I’ve already got all the materials for before buying new. A lovely customer of ours just dropped off her machine for service with the resolution that after her machine is fresh and cleaned that she will piece one quilt top a month, new ones as well as utilizing blocks she’s already started. Not only am I impressed, but look forward to seeing her work. You guys are such a fun bunch!
- Learn a new technique like free motion quilting.
- Expand to patternmaking and draping.
- Explore machine embroidery.
- Organize your sewing space to maximize its potential.
- Teach a friend to sew so you can do it together!
- Join a guild or sewing group and be more sew-cial.
- Step away from the skirts! Make something out of your comfort zone like pants, jeans, or a coat. (Keep an eye out for pants classes…)
- Discover a new pattern company.
- Finally learn how to thread that serger!
- Try hand embroidery, cross stitch, smocking, or crewel work.
- Get over your fear of working with knits.
- Resolve to break those bad sewing habits like sewing over pins.
- Be diligent about cleaning your machine and changing the needle after 8 hours of sewing.
- Sew for the oft-ignored man in your life, be it a spouse, boyfriend, or best friend. Conquer the buttonhole!