CLASS CANCELLATION POLICY
- Full payment is due upon signing up for a class.
- 100% of class fee is refundable or transferable to another class if cancellation is at least 72 hours before class.
- There is NO REFUND OR TRANSFER OF FUNDS TO ANOTHER CLASS IF WE RECEIVE NOTIFICATION OF YOUR INABILITY TO ATTEND CLASS WITH LESS THAN 72 HOURS NOTICE. Sorry, we are not able to make exceptions. This ensures the teachers are compensated for their time, and other students waiting for spots in full classes are not missing learning opportunities due to late cancelations.
- No-shows forfeit any refund or exchange.
- We provide many, but not all tools for class, including sewing machines. Feel free to bring your own supplies (or machine), we will have all basic sewing supplies, cutting supplies, and machine equipment provided for you (for a complete list go here).
- You need to bring your smiling face and the supplies listed on the class page ALL CLASSES REQUIRE FABRIC EXCEPT SEW BASIC. If you have any questions about the supply list, feel free to give us a call!
- We strongly encourage you to support our local NE Portland craft and fabric retailers when buying supplies. Unless otherwise noted, all materials and patterns are available at Modern Domestic or down the street at Bolt Fabric Boutique (2136 NE Alberta). You receive a 10% discount (with receipt) on class supplies purchased at MD and Bolt.
- In order to best serve all sewists at Modern domestic, classes are limited to students 18 and up.
- We have many classes listed as “all ages” and “kids and teens” so please have a look there to discover age appropriate classes for people as young as 8.
- Your class fee includes use of the studio and machines at no additional charge to work on your class project during the class session and 30 days after the class has ended. This is to encourage you to complete your project and is not intended to be used for other projects.
- Most of our classes will require the use of a sewing machine. Each student will have a sewing machine provided for class, unless otherwise indicated. If you want to bring your machine to class instead of using ours, please feel free to do so but please have a basic understanding of your machine and bring your manual.
- All hands-on sewing classes are limited to 6/8 students (excluding special events and private parties).
- If we have to cancel a class, you will certainly receive a full refund.
- Learn to Sew: You know nothing about sewing but you think you might like it.
- Beginning: You’ve sewn a little, mostly straight seams, read through a pattern, maybe could use some help with that, or just some more practice with keeping your stitches straight. These classes usually have little if any homework, or work to complete outside class time. The prerequisite for any Beginner class is a Sew Basics or equivalent, these are not for people who have never used a sewing machine before, just those who don’t know much about it.
- Advanced Beginner: You have taken a class or two or at least attempted some sewing on your own. These classes will make a few assumptions that you know things like what a “seam allowance” is and how to lengthen your stitch. Maybe you want to learn how to read a pattern better, or improve upon your pressing skills.
- Intermediate: You’re comfortable reading a pattern, have made a number of projects. Want to learn how to keep your zippers neat, make even darts, and successful alterations. You’re venturing into more complicated patterns (e.g., lined garments, inserting sleeves, invisible zippers). Classes are generally paced a bit more quickly and often expect out of class sewing time from students.
- Advanced: You use a pattern just as the starting point, and jump off from there. You want to learn to make patterns, be more precise with your alterations, do more detail work. You tackle challenging patterns with joy.
Open sewing is meant to be independent studio time for you and those around you. Please respect other’s desire to maximize their time in our store by:
- Please be considerate with employee’s time. While we love to assist you with basic questions about the machines and projects, we are there to help all sewists, customers, teachers, and do other store duties. If you would like to schedule one on one assistance, any employee will be happy to do so.
- Children under 18 are not able to participate in open sew at this time. Check the calendar for upcoming kids sewing classes, camps, and clubs.
- Open sewing is not a place for small children; while we have our own and love them dearly, Modern Domestic is full of sharp, hot, and expensive items.
- Bobbins are provided for your project or class while at MD, if you would like to own your bobbin, you may buy them individually and take them home. Otherwise, leave them with us and we will pass them on to the next eager sewist.
- Tools and machine accessories are here for your use and they are included in the hourly rate. When checking out your tool kit or any of our presser feet, we require that you leave your credit card; upon returning all of the items, your card is returned to you.