Learning to sew clothes for yourself is so much fun! Over the course of this three-day class, you’ll learn the basics of making clothing to fit your body. You’ll make a cute gathered skirt, an easy blouse, and if time permits, a headband. You will gain confidence using the sewing machine and learn basic sewing terms, how to cut fabric, sew seams, work with a pattern, insert elastic into a waistband, and sew a hem. We recommend taking Kids Sewing 101 prior to this class, but it is not required. Kids ages 8 – 12 are welcome.
Supply List for Kids Sewing: Intro to Apparel
Supply List: A basic kit including many of the necessary supplies is included in the class fee. Please see below for more details on what the student needs to bring to class.
Class Kit- from Modern Domestic (included in class fee)
- 2 Muslin squares for practice with seaming, stitching, measuring and ironing
- Coordinating thread (you choose a color at Modern Domestic)
- Modkid Kyoko Tweens pattern
- 1 yard 1/2” elastic for skirt
- 1 yard 1/4″ elastic for headband
KIDS WILL NEED PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS:
PLEASE PRE-WASH FABRIC
Gathered Skirt Project:
- 1 ¼ yards woven apparel weight fabric, cotton or cotton blend. Recommend quilting cotton, shot cotton, voile, or lawn. Woven fabric only please, no knits.
- 1 ½ yards woven apparel weight fabric, cotton or cotton blend. Recommend quilting cotton, shot cotton, voile, or lawn. Woven fabric only please, no knits.
- 1 yard ½” wide ribbon to coordinate with blouse fabric
- We will use scrap fabric from the skirt or blouse
All students are eligible for a 10% discount on class supplies at Modern Domestic or Bolt Fabric Boutique, with receipt from class registration.