This is the perfect class for kids who have never sewn before or who want to take their personal exploration of sewing to the next level. Students will learn how to use a sewing machine and utilize basic sewing techniques. Students will make a zippered pouch and an artist’s organizer. Most students will complete both projects during the class. Each student will take away the skills needed to sew simple projects independently and with confidence. Kids ages 8-14 are welcome.
Supply List for Kids Sewing 101: Artist’s Organizer and Zippered Pouch
Supply List: A basic kit including most of the necessary supplies is included in the class fee. Please see below for more details on what the student needs to bring to class. Please note that no food will be provided during class. You are welcome to send your child with a snack to be consumed during a class break.
Class Kit- from Modern Domestic (included in class fee)
- 2 Muslin squares for practice with seaming, stitching, measuring and ironing
- 18” zipper (you choose a color at Modern Domestic)
- 1.5 yard of 1/4” twill tape (this will be natural colored- bring your own if you’d like a different color)
- Coordinating thread (you choose a color at Modern Domestic)
- 1 yard fusible interfacing
KIDS WILL NEED PROVIDE THE FOLLOWING MATERIALS:
Zippered Pouch Project:
- One fat quarter (18″ x 22″) of quilter’s cotton*
Artist’s Organizer Project:
- Two fat quarters — one for exterior and one for interior*
- Please note that artist materials (markers, sketch pad, etc.) to fill the organizer are not provided in the class.
All students are eligible for a 10% discount on class supplies at Modern Domestic or Bolt Fabric Boutique, with receipt from class registration.