Learn a simple and satisfying technique for machine applique. This class will show you how to quickly and easily transform a plain cafe apron or set of tea towels into a small work of art. You will focus on color and pattern, how to design appliques successfully, and how to use the machine to finish your project. You can use this great new skill to embellish anything from pillowcases, to curtains and clothing. Once you start, you will want to add a touch of flair to all sorts of things!
Supply List for Intro to Machine Applique
There is no book or pattern required for this class.
- 1 yard medium weight cotton or linen, washed, dried, and pressed (for apron, 2 yards 1″ twill tape)
- 1 yard Trans Web* available at MD either before or day of class
- fabric for applique–get creative! Bring at least 4 fabrics that you are excited to use in your design. Do not be afraid to mix colors and patterns–be prepared with a mix of solids and prints in quilt-weight cotton. No jersey or wool felt please. Bring a mix of solid and prints, and keep in mind that smaller scale patterns are easier to use and 1/8-1/4 yard (or fat quarters) should be plenty. Scraps work well here too!
- shapes and ideas of inspirations that you may want to use
- thread to match your fabrics*
All students are eligible for a 10% discount on class supplies at Modern Domestic or Bolt Fabric Boutique, with receipt from class registration.