This class will walk students through the basics of machine quilting with both a walking foot and a darning/free-motion foot. Students will practice different quilting techniques, including the popular meandering stitch and wonky straight lines, on practice sandwiches before making a quilted sampler pillow to show off what they’ve learned. The focus of this class will be on “freestyle” quilting methods that do not require measuring or marking on the quilting surface. The techniques learned in this class can be applied to a number of different sewing projects, but are particularly suitable for use in modern patchwork quilts.
Supply List for Freestyle Machine Quilting Workshop
There is no book or pattern required for this class.
- 1 yard solid mid-weight cotton fabric, at least 42” wide
- 3/8 yard coordinating (matching) solid mid-weight cotton fabric, at least 42” wide Fabric Notes: I recommend flat solids, as they will show off your quilting and create a more graphic look, but you may also substitute almost solids (tiny prints), hand-dyed fabric, simple batiks, etc.
- 4.25 yards muslin, at least 36” wide*
- 1 package 45″ x 60″ low-loft cotton batting, such as Warm and Natural*
- 500m 100% cotton thread* Avoid any thread labeled for “hand quilting” as this has a waxy coating that can’t be used in machines.
- 20” x 20” pillow form*
- 100 small curved safety pins*
All students are eligible for a 10% discount on class supplies at Modern Domestic or Bolt Fabric Boutique, with receipt from class registration.