Learn to make this modern quilt with log cabin blocks that bounce around in casual rows across the top and feature favorite fabrics beautifully. In this three session beginner class, students will make a 36″x36″ baby or wall quilt. Students will learn the techniques fundamental to quilt making: rotary cutting, piecing fabric to form the top, pressing, making a quilt sandwich, quilting with a walking foot and finishing the quilt with binding. This is the perfect class for beginning sewists who are familiar with the sewing machine and eager to learn quilt-making. There will be homework required between each class (classroom machines are available if you don’t own one), and if you need some help getting prepared for this class, consider Sew Basic or Learn to Sew.
Supply List for Beginning Quilting: Baby Block Quilt
NO PATTERN REQUIRED. There will be a handout provided in class.
All fabric should be 100% quilt weight cotton
- 4 fat quarters (18″ x 24″) or 4 1/4 yd cuts for top. If you would like to use scraps or lots of different fabrics, you will need 36 5″ squares. These do not need to be cut before class.
- 1 yd for sashing (background on top)
- 1.25 yds for backing. If you’d like sashing and backing to be the same fabric, please provide 2.25 yds
- 1/3 yd for binding
- 1 package of cotton batting, baby quilt size* (or a piece measuring approx 40″ x 40″)
- 100% cotton thread for piecing, quilting, and binding*
- 100 curved safety pins*
- hand sewing needle* (for finishing binding)
- OPTIONAL binding clips*
All students are eligible for a 10% discount on class supplies at Modern Domestic or Bolt Fabric Boutique, with receipt from class registration.